Monday 20 January 2014

love lockdown

Love-hate relationships portrayed in literature and the media are often portrayed to be romantic ones, where two lovers let their love for each other eviscerate everything in the path until both of them are left as two dried husks of a person.

Sometimes I wonder if it is odd that I am in such an antagonistic love-hate relationship with my Mother. 

As much I love her for all that she has done for me, I really dislike her taking out her existential angst/menopausal moodiness on me and my Dad. Fuck, I know I am not exactly the most selfless individual on this planet, but she makes me sound like Damien from The Omen. It frustrates me when my attempts to be nice or independent are immediately shot down by her, due to her need to micromanage and desire for control. 

At times she understands me more than my Dad, and I suppose that is a bad thing because she sees right through me, knowing all my 'pressure points' (to borrow a phrase from Sherlock) and saying things that honestly hurt. Who knew that constant jibes about my weight could seriously leave my heart in shambles huh?

Maybe she and I are just destined to love/hate each other for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment