Wednesday 8 January 2014

here's johnny




"You've...always been the caretaker."
I can finally understand why many tout Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980) to be a cinematic masterpiece. Pictured above is the famous bathroom scene, with the use of red signalling danger and creating a rather surrealist mise-en-scene.
Plot-wise the film itself is not very frightening, but Kubrick makes up for it through creating tense and creepy atmospheres, as well as invoking career-defining performances from his stars.
In all honesty Jack Nicholson's crazed facial expressions and body language frightened me more than the twin girls and the shape-shifting young lady/old crone ghost.
--
On another note, this film is excellent for making reaction pictures, because this is exactly my reaction to my mother's denigration of my current slothful existence.


Thanks Mum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment