Wednesday 23 July 2014

this is how it starts



Ever since I chanced upon them on Spotify back in June 2013, I fell in love instantaneously. The second I heard the sweet highs of singles such as "Sex" and "Chocolate", I was sold by their songs that were paradoxically crystal-clear yet layered. I guess my love for them also deepened over the A level period because they gave me a phenomenal L.P. to listen to as I studied for that arduous exam. 

I still remember when I was checking my Twitter feed and the Straits Times informed me they were coming. A sort of euphoria washed over me even though my instincts told me they would drop by soon (they went to Manila for fuck's sake!). 24 hours after the gig, I'm happy to note that it was everything I wished for and more.

Firstly let me state that one must not be tricked by the live recordings available on YouTube, especially the one of their Coachella performance. Somehow the sound was distorted and they sounded much worse compared to the real thing. I was initially worried about the quality of Matt Healy's (the lead singer) voice because it was getting a bit strained after extensive touring, and perhaps exacerbated by his smoking. And yet he delivered, sounding every bit as good he did on the album.

More significantly, he pulled off a feat I never thought imaginable: He sung and smoked at the same time. I don't know how he pulled it off while looking like a rock god and without coming off as a douche, but he did. For the rest of the performance he interacted well with the crowd, bantering with us about the heat and even going the extra mile to care about the audience's welfare. Honestly, this was the first time I've witnessed a musician inform the concert staff to provide water for his audience, and it was also the first time I've seen a musician ensure that all his devotees had sufficient breathing space despite the packed and downright shitty/insulting/suffocating venue. Prior to this I had read fan accounts about how compassionate and caring Matty was towards their fans, and I felt lucky enough to have seen it for myself. 

His kindness aside, seeing Matty do his signature hair flips and witnessing his louche, sensual charisma at work was another sight to behold. Everyone - girl, boy, man, woman - was enthralled, lapping up every word he spoke and screaming whenever he did a body wave or a little prance on stage. Every camera around was directed at him, recording every antic he did. In short, everybody fell down the rabbit hole of Healy-dom last night. Singapore could have possibly heralded a new rock icon of the modern age, and we knew it. I for one thought I had already reached the apex of my obsession with Mr. Healy, but it simply multiplied ten and twenty-fold after the performance. Go on, shoot me for being a fan girl. 

This is not to say the others were not excellent. Guitarist Adam Hann, Bassist Ross MacDonald and drummer George Daniel were also on-point, delivering their signature 80's-tinged sound with much skill and panache. Hann and MacDonald were incredible switching from their instruments to the soundpads and keyboards seamlessly mid-song, never missing a beat. Daniel was also sensational, drumming with much gusto despite melting in the unforgiving heat and humidity. Sonically, they were amazing, the music crystal clear without any slip-ups and the songs effortlessly segueing one into another. 

It was certainly a fantastic gig and a night to remember. Matty made a promise to be back, and I hope he'll hold onto it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment